Saturday, October 30, 2010

I got my site!!




10/30/10

I finally got my site placement! I'm going to be going to be living in La Dalia in the department of Matagalpa. I am a little disappointed that I didn't get any of my preferences because I had my heart set on of a department capital. However it does have some of the important aspects that I told my boss that I was looking for in a site It is up in the mountains, it not a one horse town and there is going to be several NGO's and an environment Peace Corps volunteer that I can collaborate on projects so that will be nice. The only thing I wish is that it wasn't 2 hours away from Matagalpa my department capital where I will have to go for the bank, post office any big shopping that I want to do. Oh well I sure it will all work out fine. I have this weekend to pack up half my stuff and take it with me. I am planning on taking the majority of my clothes and Peace Corps books in my rolling suitcase then I take up the rest of my stuff when I go up after my swearing ceremony. I leave Tuesday morning for Managua spent the night there then get up the next morning and make the trip up north. I think the trip is about 4 hours long, a little longer than I would have preferred but as long as I don't have to standing the whole trip it should be fine. If I am lucky I can get an express bus to Matagalpa then catch another regular bus to La Dalia from there .

Yesterday was pretty fun though we got up early and were picked up by the Peace Corps bus and taken on a secret cultural field trip. I think our Peace Corps bosses have an obsession with secrecy because almost everything we do is shrouded in secrecy up until we do are on the way there. Anyway we are on our way down the highway when we are finally told we're we are going to go see the historical battlefield at Hacienda San Jaciento. This is where one of the most important battles in Nicaragua's history took place. Back it the mid 1800's this crazy American named William Walker invaded Nicaragua with about 60 other mercenaries and tried to take over the country. He burnt down the city of Granada and declared himself president of the country. It didn't end well Walker he and his men lost at San Jaciento and Walker was later executed. This day is celebrated on September 14th along with the 15th of September during their independence festivals.

After we left San Jaciento when went to the Peace Corp office. which is in a nice neighborhood of Managua surrounded by nice houses and hotels. From the street the office though seems kind of out of place. It just a high light blue wall gate with just a simple sign Cuerpo de Paz sign outside. There's no flag or Peace Corps symbol visible anywhere from the street, all for security reason    I imagine. The way we found out our site a was fun but a little stressful. We all filed into this conference room to see a map of Nicaragua one side of the room and a bulletin board with a bunch of balloons taped to it on the other side. We had to throw a dart a balloon which had a name and site in it then read it off. It was a lot better than just reading off a list I thought.

Well that's all for now I let you know how La Daria is when I get back from my site visit

Hasta Pronto!
War Memorial
Hanging out in Giant Tree

At San Jaciento Hacienda


:La Dalia Here I come!
All of our sites! This is the first year the TEFL has gone to the Atlantic coast

No comments:

Post a Comment